Many of MOFGA’s priority bills have come up for hearings and work sessions early in this legislative session. Please contact your legislators and urge them to support the following bills:
- LD 437, An Act To Establish the Maine Healthy Soils Program. A public hearing took place on March 4 with strong support from farmers, environmental organizations, and the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (ACF). More than 100 farmers signed a letter of support addressed to Governor Mills, Comissioner Beal, the ACF, and leadership in the House and Senate. An ACF Committee work session and, possibly, a vote, will happen on Tuesday, March 16.
- LD 125, An Act to Prohibit the Aerial Spraying of Glyphosate and Other Synthetic Herbicides for the Purpose of Silviculture. A 3.5 hour hearing took place on March 2, with powerful testimony about the threats of glyphosate to human health and forest ecosystems, how clearcutting and herbicide spraying increase greenhouse gas emissions, the deep and powerful influence of a foreign corporation on north woods communities and Maine state government, and the myths of Outcome Based Forestry. An ACF Committee work session and, possibly, a vote, will happen on Tuesday, March 16. Please urge your legislators to support this priority bill of MOFGA and the Maine Environmental Priorities Coalition.
- LD 155, Resolve, Directing the Board of Pesticides Control To Prohibit the Use of Certain Neonicotinoids for Outdoor Residential Use. Last week, the ACF Committee voted for a watered down version of this bill, which would allow licensed applicators to continue using pollinator-killing neonics to make yards and gardens look pretty. Please urge your legislators to support Representative Grohoski’s original intent of the bill when it comes to votes on the floors of the House and Senate.
- LD 316 – An Act To Prohibit the Use of Chlorpyrifos. The ACF held a hearing on this bill on March 2. An ACF Committee work session and, possibly, a vote, will happen on Tuesday, March 16.
- LD 519 – An Act To Protect Children from Exposure to Toxic Chemicals. An ACF Committee hearing will take place on Thursday, March 25, at 9:00 a.m.
- LD 489 – a Resolution, Proposing an Amendment to the Constitution of Maine To Establish a Right to a Healthy Environment. The Committee on Environment and Natural Resources held a hearing on this bill on March 8. A work session is scheduled for Wednesday, March 17, at 11:00 a.m.
- LD 363 – An Act Regarding the Statute of Limitations for Injuries or Harm Resulting from Perfluoroalkyl and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances. This bill is scheduled for a hearing before the Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, March 17 at 10:00 a.m.
Visit our Take Action page to stay up to date on MOFGA’s policy priorities.