Join the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association for Great Maine Apple Day, a celebration of the history, flavor and tradition of Maine apples. We will celebrate the fall season together while honoring the importance of a diversified, perennial agriculture. This annual event takes place on Sunday, October 16, from noon to 4 p.m., at MOFGA’s Common Ground Education Center in Unity. Admission is free, with donations to MOFGA accepted.
Featured presentations will include:
- “A Panel on Pears” with Molly DellaRoman and Tim Skillin from 5 Star Orchard, Seth Yentes of North Branch Farm and Dan Newman, who researches historical pear varieties.
- “Easy Cider With Angus” — a chance to learn how to make great hard cider from professionals, Angus Deighan who runs Rocky Ground Cider, with his partner Abbey from Newburgh, Maine.
- An apple growing Q&A with Glen Koehler, from the Pest Management Unit at University of Maine Cooperative Extension. Koehler will share some observations on dates, weather, disease and insect pests from the 2022 orcharding season, and then open up the floor for questions on growing apples.
- A demonstration on preserving fall fruit with Jenn Legnini of Turtle Rock Farm in Union, Maine.
- A tour of the Maine Heritage Orchard, a 10-acre preservation and educational orchard located a quarter mile down the road from MOFGA’s education center.
Participants can talk with a dream team of Maine apple identifiers and have their mystery apples identified. “Bring your cutest apples and the ones that are so ugly they’re cute,” says Laura Sieger, MOFGA’s orchard manager. Attendees can also see — and bring home to sample — rare and heirloom apples grown at MOFGA and on other Maine farms.
Local producers will have apples, cider, cheese and baked treats for sale, along with fruit tree seedlings and fall produce. Chestnuts grown on MOFGA’s grounds will be roasted to perfection for participants to taste. Participants can also try pressing apples for cider with a crew of experienced volunteers or screen print their own bandana with a beautiful Maine Heritage Orchard design. There will also be apple and art activities for children. Learn more about Great Maine Apple Day at: mofga.org/event-calendar/great-maine-apple-day-2/
“Great Maine Apple Day is one of my favorite days in the MOFGA calendar! We hope you can join us to celebrate the season and maybe even discover a new favorite apple variety. It will be a beautiful autumn day on campus with opportunities for fun, learning and connection,” says Anna Libby, community education director at MOFGA.
This event is sponsored by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association and Fedco Trees.