Lazy Acres Farm
Lazy Acres is a small family farm in Farmingdale with a focus on growing specialty cut flowers and pastured pork. We have a small team of dedicated folks focusing primarily on our flower production. We grow on approximately a 1/2 acres with two high tunnels and a heated propagation house.
Hours and Work Season
– 40 hours per week – overtime paid for any hours over 40
– April – October; days and hours are somewhat flexible depending on the season
o In the height of the season (June-September) they will typically be 6am-2:30pm with a 30 min unpaid lunch
o The shoulder season has more flexibility
o Willingness to work on the weekend strongly preferred
– We try to be flexible based on everyone’s personal scheduling needs, when possible
– We work on holidays, due to the need to continually tend to crops and animals
Starts at $16/hour
Field Assistant Responsibilities:
– Seed starting early in the season – primarily in the heated greenhouse
– Bed preparation in the field and high tunnel structures, including working and amending the soil, laying irrigation, weed fabric, netting, supports, etc.
– Transplanting seedlings
– Cultivation of crops / weeding
– Harvesting crops
– Turning over beds to replant crops during the season
– Fall bed cleanup – including digging dahlia tubers
– Fall planting – in the high tunnel and bulbs outside
– Other farm projects and duties as assigned (help with chickens, vegetable garden, pigs, etc.)
Field Assistant Expectations:
– Hardworking team player with a positive attitude
– Willingness to learn, take direction, and receive feedback
– Demonstrates good attention to detail and observational skills
– Efficient, self-motivated worker with time management skills
– Ability to work solo or as a part of a team
– Respectful of all farm resources (for example, but not limited to, co-workers, customers, crops, products, tools, and environment)
– Willingness to work outside in all conditions (rain, snow, wind, mud, bugs, heat, humidity)
– Ability to lift 50 pounds and perform repetitive, physical tasks (kneeling, bending down, squatting, standing, etc.)
– Ability to perform manual labor for hours at a time
– Dependable transportation to/from work as our location is not easily accessible by public transportation
– Fully vaccinated against Covid-19
– Starts at $16/hour
– Mid-season increase possible based on mid-year performance review
– Opportunities for increased hours and/or extended season work
– End of season bonus possible based on the farm’s success and each employee meeting work commitments
What to Expect from Us
We strive to create a supportive and cohesive team and help each team member feel like an important part of the farm’s overall success. We’ll support one’s interest in learning while working as much or as little as they want.
Application Details and Deadline
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
If interested in applying, please send your resume and cover email to Sarah Lutte at [email protected]. Please include in your email your relevant experience and why you would like to work at Lazy Acres.
Visit https://www.lazyacresmaine.com/about-us#contact-us for downloadable job description.