Roberts Harbor Farm
Roberts Harbor Farm is a certified-organic, salt-water farm serving the community of Vinalhaven, Maine and neighboring islands. 2024 will be our fifth season in operation. The farm is being re-established on a remarkable historic property first farmed in the late 1800s. We grow vegetables and flowers and operate a farm kitchen dedicated to creating seasonally-inspired offerings.
Hours and Work Season
$20-25 per hour, commensurate with experience
Roberts Harbor Farm is looking for creative, enthusiastic cooks to prepare food for sale at our farm store using the farm’s fresh, organic produce.
Job Opportunity: Seasonal (May-October)
Lead Cook and Assistant Cook(s) for a busy island farm store.
Cooks in the Roberts Harbor Farm Kitchen spend 30-40 hours per week (each) preparing a wide variety of recipes, from soups, salads, dips and sauces to baked goods, pickles and sandwiches using the farm’s fresh, organic produce. The farmers take great pride in growing top-quality, certified organic produce and are looking for kitchen partners who are passionate about local, seasonal cooking. Your hard work and creativity will help the farm to expand and elevate our value-added business.
● At least 1 year of professional cooking experience (experience preparing large quantities and seasonally inspired recipes a plus)
● Easily able to perform all tasks of a busy kitchen 30 to 40 hours per week
● Able to take and follow directions accurately and to work independently as needed
● Willingness to perform all tasks, from unloading freight to washing dishes, with a positive attitude
● Enjoy working as part of a creative, collaborative team
● Able to regularly lift up to 50#
● Professional, respectful demeanor and excellent interpersonal skills
● Efficient time management, attention to detail, and a strong desire to work with farm-grown, seasonal ingredients
● Computer skills knowledge (Email, Word/Google Docs, and Excel/Google Sheets)
● Good communication skills, assertiveness, and decisiveness are essential
● Strong references from previous employers
● Food safety certification a plus
● Craft nutritious, delicious food and pack it for the farm store
● Prepare recipes provided by the farm owner, managers, and propose your own.
● Maintain high quality standards for food’s taste, appearance and storage
● Manage rotation of ingredients and prepared foods to ensure food safety and minimize waste
● Maintain a clean, organized workspace that meets or exceeds Maine food safety standards and the Roberts Harbor Farm Kitchen best practices
● Provide weekly inventory of all ingredients and supplies to the owner for the purpose of placing weekly orders and maintaining food costs.
● Communicate changes, mistakes, ingredient information, inventory needs, etc. to farm owners and managers in a timely and professional manner
● Approach new farm-grown ingredients, and shortages, with creativity and a positive, problem-solving attitude
● Maintain a tidy, professional appearance in the kitchen and around the farm and farm store
● Interact with customers in a friendly, professional manner as needed
What to Expect from Us
Highly supportive environment
Clear plans and expectations
Nearly new commercial kitchen with ocean views
Delicious certified, organic produce
Application Details and Deadline
Email [email protected].
Send us your resume and a cover letter telling us why you are the best person to join our farm team! Include how your experience would contribute to the farm’s success and two ways you would showcase cabbage or carrots to a market whose preferences range from traditional to gourmet.
DEADLINE: January 31, 2024