Category: Community

A Taste of a Tzedakah driven Food System

Toki Oshima illustration By Grace Oedel A celebration of abundance took place at the annual Seed Swap and Scion Exchange held at MOFGA in March. People arrived with bundles of scionwood neatly labeled or jars of seeds rattling cheerfully. Toddlers helped thresh beans by jumping on dry shells; musicians fiddled as dancers swung around baskets

Read More »

Have A Cow

By John Koster The first Devon cattle were shipped from England to Plymouth Colony in 1623. Here, Wes Daniels is shown with his Devon oxen at the Common Ground Country Fair. English photo. Cows are good! Without the predictable supply of milk, meat, leather and fertilizer supplied by domesticated cattle, the great civilizations of the

Read More »

Don McLean, DVM, Environmentalist

Don McLean beside his bread oven. Photo by Joyce White. By Joyce White Don McLean has been an environmentalist much longer than he has been a veterinarian. In third grade, he did his science project on pollution. “Since then I have been trying to at least reduce the negative impact of modern life on our

Read More »

Anderson

From the MOFGA Spring Growth 2005 Conference: Local and Organic in a Global Food Economy: What is Our Role – As Farmers, Consumers and Citizens? Molly Anderson told Spring Growth Conference attendees that individual and local actions  will have to be combined with other local and global efforts to ensure a just and sustainable agriculture

Read More »

Preserving Farmland

McDougal Orchard in Sanford is one of three farms that Maine Farmland Trust has helped protect. Bridget Besaw photo. by John Piotti When I give presentations on farming in Maine, I usually begin with this true-or-false quiz: • In the last two federal agricultural censuses, the number of farmers in Maine increased. • In the

Read More »

George Christopher’s Incubator Farm

by Marada Cook Thinking about starting a farm? Looking for good land, good markets that are reasonably close, a little (or a lot) of start-up capital, a place to live, a way to pay bills in the off-season, a community of organic farmers, equipment that isn’t outrageously expensive or in disrepair? Maybe you’ve found the

Read More »

Ferriss

Lloyd Ferriss, a longtime gardener from Richmond, takes a break from picking in the organic garden he and his wife, Jane Frost, grew for their local food pantry. Jim Ferriss photo. by Lloyd Ferriss We’ve all heard the old saw, “Grow a row for the hungry.” Last spring my wife, Jane Frost, and I turned

Read More »

Crown OMaine

Jim Cook started Crown O’Maine Organic Cooperative to distribute local and organic produce from Maine farms to natural food stores, restaurants, buying clubs and institutional kitchens. Making it Happen in Maine: Crown O’Maine Takes Distribution to New Levels by Marada Cook Author’s note: While objectivity and honesty are traditionally the foremost goals of journalists, The

Read More »

Chewonki Foundation

The farm crew teaches a group of MCS students about production and livestock management at Salt Marsh Farm. Family-Farm Philosophy in a High School Semester By Molly Schaffner Photos by Scott Andrews and Margaret Youngs Nestled between salt marsh and woods, tangent to a school and a summer camp, lies the Chewonki Foundation’s Salt Marsh

Read More »

Reviving Bantry Bay Farm

New Brunswick’s historic Bantry Bay Farm is being brought back into production by this intrepid foursome: Mike Hadfield, Luke McLean, Katherine McCord and Brad Aune. Photo by Larry Lack. by Larry Lack A historic saltwater farm in New Brunswick on the St. Croix River  near Calais has a new lease on life thanks to the

Read More »
Categories
Scroll to Top