Category: Community

Debbie Deal

By Jane Lamb Debbie Deal had just completed the monumental task of converting a collapsing lobster-trap shed into a trim little shop. She’d had a contractor jack up the derelict outbuilding, resill it and skid it up to the roadside. Then she’d tackled the restoration herself – reframing, reboarding, setting in windows, shingling. “I’d never

Read More »

Russell Libby

Robert Shetterly unveiled the latest in his “Americans Who Tell the Truth” series of paintings at a November 1, 2012, celebration of Russell Libby’s tenure as MOFGA’s executive director. Russell’s truth quoted in this painting: “We have to challenge the idea that contamination is just the price of living in the modern world. Our bodies

Read More »

Maine Sea Salt

Steve Cook in his booth at the Common Ground Country Fair in 2011. Betsy Garrold photo. By Betsy Garrold “Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea.” – Pythagoras (580 BCE to 500 BCE) Founded in 1998, when Steve Cook closed his restaurant in Florida and moved back home, Maine

Read More »

Jack London

Jack London’s Pig Palace. Photo courtesy of Jack London State Historic Park, https://jacklondonpark.com/. By John Koster Superstitious windjammer sailors once believed that mentioning the word “pigs” was bad luck, but for some Duroc Jerseys at Glen Ellen, California, one old-time windjammer sailor was very good luck indeed. Jack London’s “Pig Palace” was one of the

Read More »

Unity Site

Permanent Site Planning Committee 1998 Fair Plan. Kent Associates, Planning & Design, Gardiner, Maine. By Brian Kent Planning the layout of MOFGA’s new site in Unity began in late 1996, when members brainstormed some rough plans, and began to define what the flat, featureless, 35-acre field and its surrounds would have to accommodate. The Permanent Site

Read More »

Local Food Wedding

Andy and Julia McLeod at their wedding. Photo courtesy of Sarah Moore. By Julia McLeod I can imagine some future brides poring over wedding magazines – delighting in dresses, shoes and flowers. I pored over seed catalogs – oohing and aahing over heirloom tomatoes and watermelon varieties. My husband, Andy, and I decided to grow

Read More »

Sagadahoc MOFGA

Most MOFGA members are familiar with the Sagadahoc MOFGA chapter through its booth at the Common Ground Country Fair, shown here being erected by Jeremy Blaiklock and George Sergeant. Photo courtesy of George Sergeant. Thirty-Five Years, Thirty-Five Fairs, Seven Community Gardens and Abundant Good Energy By Jean English The Sagadahoc chapter of MOFGA celebrated its

Read More »

Greater Lovell Land Trust

Leigh Hayes shows a bear skull to participants on a walk at Kezar River Reserve, part of the Greater Lovell Land Trust. Photo courtesy of Greater Lovell Land Trust. Enjoying and understanding the natural world is the foundation for lasting environmental stewardship By Joyce White What is man without the beasts?… For whatever happens to

Read More »

Horse Drawn Future

Kenneth Copp prepares his horse Melody and his buggy – more time-consuming than turning a key and stepping on the gas pedal, but also less polluting. English photos. By Kenneth Copp Late one winter morning in March, I pulled in to the Belfast Co-op parking lot with our faithful horse Melody and one of our

Read More »

Finn Burnett

Finn Burnett. By John Koster The final round of treaties that the United States signed with the Indian tribes of the West in 1868 provided the tribes with government farmers to help them learn the white man’s agricultural techniques. The treaties also provided frontiersman and former Missouri farm boy Finn Burnett with a job that

Read More »
Categories
Scroll to Top