"If there is a conflict today, it is between cultures of violence and cultures of peace. There is no other conflict in the world."
- Vandana Shiva
MOF&G Cover Winter 2004-2005
MOFGA members receive our quarterly newspaper The Maine Organic Farmer & Gardener as a benefit of membership. Become a member today! It can also be purchased at news stands.


  You are here:  PublicationsMaine Organic Farmer & GardenerWinter 2004/2005Ask MOFGA   
 Ask MOFGA Minimize


Q. How can I get rid of containers of old pesticides?

Answer: Kelly Bourdeau, public information officer of the Maine Board of Pesticides Control, says, “We do have a once a year, free collection program … but our inventory roster is already filled to capacity for 2004 (our budget is $15,000).” She suggests that people register now for the 2005 program (the actual collection is usually in late summer or early fall) by downloading and completing the obsolete pesticide inventory form at www.thinkfirstspraylast.org or by calling the BPC at 287-2731 – then hope that budgetary shortfalls do not require cutting this program in 2005.

Another method for properly disposing of unwanted pesticides is by delivering the product to a municipally-sponsored ‘Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day,’ says George M. MacDonald, Director of the Community Assistance Team of the Maine State Planning Office. “Many communities and regional programs offer their residents an opportunity to dispose of unwanted household hazardous wastes, including pesticides, at such an event. Some require signing up before the event; others may impose a small fee to help offset the cost of collection. You can contact your local municipal office to see if your community will be participating in such an event, or you may visit the Maine State Planning Office Web site that lists dates for household hazardous waste collections for dozens of towns (www.maine.gov/spo/recycle/index.htm). You may be able to encourage your community to provide such a collection event if one isn’t planned.” To dispose of other hazardous wastes, check with your town to find out what will or will not be accepted on collection days.

Also, the hazardous waste management company Clean Harbors, with locations in Bangor and South Portland (www.cleanharbors.com) accepts “walk-ins” who deliver residentially generated household hazardous wastes to their facility. A fee is charged depending upon the item and volume. Readers may want to contact Clean Harbors for details on what they accept and fees.


Home | Programs | Agricultural Services | The Fair | Certification | Events | Publications | Resources | Store | Support MOFGA | Contact | MOFGA.net | Search
  Copyright © 2018 Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement    Site by Planet Maine