MOFGA Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
Fair Assistant – Common Ground Country Fair
Common Ground Country Fair
Title: Fair Assistant
Primary Responsibilities: Support the Fair Director and Fair Coordinator as needed with administrative support, logistics coordination, and promotional programs in the preparations and operations of the 2015 Common Ground Country Fair.
Work Week: Seasonal/Part-time, 16-24 hours per week, May through mid-October with additional hours in the weeks leading up to the Fair and during Fair weekend. This position is non-exempt under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act. The employee in this position is eligible for overtime pay.
Required Abilities and Knowledge:
- first hand familiarity with the Common Ground Country Fair and support for the mission and work of MOFGA
- previous experience organizing events and working with volunteers
- a clear writing style, composed phone manners, a good sense of proper email etiquette, and congenial interpersonal skills
- comfort working with MS Word and proficient with Excel
- adept with online tools, including Google Docs
- experience working with databases
- competence with the Adobe suite of design programs, particularly InDesign, a plus
- at ease working with many projects simultaneously while prioritizing workload
There is quite a learning curve with this position because it begins at a time when the Fair planning is well under way. You will be trained to work with systems and programs (ex, our database) that support the Fair's operations. You will be working closely with the staff, providing day-to-day administrative support and undertaking select ongoing projects that will require initiative and planning to keep on track. You can expect your work to encompass the following, and more:
- providing administrative support to the Fair Director and Coordinator
- processing mailings and communications with Fair volunteer staff and participants
- fielding inquiries via phone and email from the general public
- coordinating advance ticket sales
- coordinating promotional logistics
- record keeping necessary to support the logistical needs (show ribbons, tent supplies, t-shirts, meal tickets, parking passes, etc…) of the Fair volunteer staff
- updating participant records and Fair program information in the databases and content management system used for publishing the Fair program online
- liaison with Fair utilities and site crew
- engage with Fair vendors and exhibitors on the phone and in person, assisting them with the myriad of questions that surface as the Fair approaches
- assist with Fair set-up and clean-up
- and other duties as needed
You will be expected to carry out all of the above in accordance with the mission statement, goals, and philosophy of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association.
To apply for this position, submit a cover letter and resume via email using the subject "Fair Assistant Job - <your name>" to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is open until filled.